At last I've finished the mermaid painting !
We took the hardboard side panel off of the bath so that I could paint her on there. It was an odd size to paint on and would hardly fit on my easel. I did some of the painting with it across a table because the hardboard was quite thin and bendy and some of the smaller details were impossible to do with it bending to and fro!
I sprinkled some very fine glitter on the scaly parts, like the mermaid's tail and the fish and finished off with several coats of matte varnish over the whole thing.
She's not fixed back on the bath just yet, but you can get an idea of how it'll look if I turn this photo around this way up.
Thankyou to Violette for the inspiration of using glitter in the bathroom!