The Arrival of the Mermaids; aka.The Evolution of the Fish.

I've been making mermaid door signs.
I wasn't always making mermaid door signs. Shall I tell you how it all began?

It started with an idea of making wooden fish shapes to hang as decoration.

The idea I had was to paint them in bright sea-sidey colours once they'd been cut out and sanded.




 It was fun painting them and I was pleased with the results. I hung some beads on them in matching colours for the finishing touch.


Then a lot of time passed.


I liked what I'd already made but after time, other arty things distracted me so the rest of the fishy shapes stayed in a cupboard for longer than I'd like to admit to you here. 😉
So the day came along when I felt like painting some more fish again so out of the cupboard they came, I painted an undercoat of blue on them while they awaited their fishy patternings.


I love this colour blue, they could have stayed like this and I could have added a pretty thread and beads but by this stage another idea had taken over my imagination...


Yes, I decided to make them into mermaids! If you've read  >this post here< then you'll know that I've had a lifelong love of mermaid images


and of course I've always loved glitter! What better place to have glitter than a mermaid's tail!


I thought it would nice for each of the mermaids to be holding a sign with a personalised name or phrase so that they can be hung on a door...


or on the wall...




 I'm very pleased with how they turned out. I only have 2 left in my Etsy shop so if you like them too you can have one with any name or phrase you like. Please >click here< to see.

Thanks so much for looking and for reading down this far on this slightly longer post than usual! I wish you a very happy rest of the week.xx



Comments

Els said…
Ahhhhh JESS !!! these are sooooooooooo CUTE !!!
Country Rabbit said…
how beautiful jess, your art is so beautiful and bright, its a real joy to catch up on your posts here ;) xx

Popular posts from this blog

More Cottages During Lockdown and a Change in Medium.

Illustration Friday: Confined

A Day Out