How I Use Iridescent Inks and a Woolly Update.

This past week or so I've been painting on paper and enjoying using some lovely iridescent inks. The ones I use are by Daler Rowney from their FW Pearlescent range. You can use them straight from the jar and they'll sit quite happily on even the most darkest of backgrounds. They can also be watered down to create a lovely glaze like I've done on the figure in this painting.


 The little  gold dots here are painted with golden ink and they twinkle and shine in the light! The blue background area on the right is a shimmery blue glaze from the FW Pearlescent range. You can see from the two photos how it changes in the different lighting.


What better subject to use my sparkly inks than on a magical mermaid! I made a mini video (of only a few seconds long!) to show how she changes ...


This larger (8 x 12inches) painting's a mix of acrylic paint, inks, souffle pens and iridescent inks. I call her 'Aurora'. She's in my Etsy shop along with all the paintings in both this post and the last post. :) Please click here to take you to them!

In Woolly news.....
Do you remember the cardigan I was making? Well it's finished and it fits very nicely!

We were trying to get her to smile but she wasn't very happy at having to sit still!


After using a rainbow of colours in the cardigan, I'm now making a crocheted blanket using a limited palette of mauves and greens. I love this combination of colours together. Even though it's acrylic, the yarn's lovely and soft. It's Special by Stylecraft and comes in such glorious colours. I'd rather like to have them all!
And I suspect one day I will. ;-)



Comments

busybusybeejay said…
Where do I start?!Such a creative post.I love the cardie,isn't she such a cutie.I love the blanket too.Stylecraft Special DK is great for blankets (Lucy at Attic24uses it) and your work is awesome!!!
Merlesworld said…
Very cute cardigan looks lovely on the little girl.
Merle........
Paper rainbow said…
Those inks suit your style well. I use spray inks but I don't paint with them...I'm already pondering what effect they will have on fabric...I think I will try. I love the shimmery finish although I bet the pieces come to life in real life. Would love to see them in person.
denthe said…
I haven't been online for a while, and I really love how you changed your blog: the lovely colourful banner, the pages, the lettering. Great work! And your paintings are lovely as usual. I really like the colours of that tree!
Els said…
Love your painted cards Jess !!!

(must look in the art supplies store for these inks ;-) !)

Ahhhhhh such a sweet jacket ... ánd the little one! (though she isn't very pleased being photographed ....)
Ruthie Redden said…
Loving your beautiful shimmery paintings Jess, I love to use iridescent inks in my work too, they add such extra depth don't they. What a gorgeous cardi too, I wish I could knit! x
Victoria said…
H i sweet friend, what gorgeous art, so mesmerizing and magical! I also loved the vid of the mermaid, enchanting! AW, she looks adorable in her magical cardigan, beautiful work!
Lovely to visit your creative world again!
Victoria
Unknown said…
Love your creativity!
Michelle ♥
Martina said…
Dear Jess, the sparkly effects in your fairy tale paintings looks gorgeous - they could be wonderful illustrations for a book! The knitting looks great too -especially on that CUTIE! Havea bright and colorful start to your week!
These cards are so creative and so amazing...WOW
Martina said…
Dear Jess, thanks for your lovely comment on my blog! Still adore your shimmering mermaids and hope you have fun with summer painting and nitting!
rossichka said…
Hello, Jessie! Hope you are doing well, enjoying the real summer!:)
Anonymous said…
Your sweater is most beautiful the colors. The sweet Grandchild of yours looks splendid in it. She is a darling.

Your a talent knitter. Your art work is beautiful too.

Taking time today to look at your blog.
I fine one day in weekends I can look and comment. I will add you to my side bar on my blog.
Linda said…
Everything is gorgeous!!! :)
Martina said…
Dear Jess, still loveyour paintings and your colourful knitting! Hope ypi're having a ctreative weekend and enjoy the fall colours!

Popular posts from this blog

More Cottages During Lockdown and a Change in Medium.

Illustration Friday: Confined

A Day Out