Cornwall and Back


How did 2 weeks fly by since my last blogpost?! Things are still pretty busy around here and lots has been happening so let me tell you what I've been doing. Over the half term we had a few days away in Cornwall.




We drove over to the Lizard Peninsula to Kynance Cove (pics above) and then along the coast to another beautiful cove that I haven't been to before called Poldhu Cove. I loved the caves there, I imagined I'd see a mermaid living inside one of them but alas I didn't this time.


The same day that we arrived back home, we had a family celebration for Youngest Son as he's just passed his driving test and had his birthday too!



I'm always inspired to paint when I've been to Cornwall and once the house was quiet again, I finished this painting.


 It's called 'Looking Back'.



 I love the combination of bright turquoise together with the the earthy tones of browns and I've had in mind to do a painting in these colours for a very long time. In the past I've started out with a limited pallette and ended up by adding more and more colours (you know me!) but this time I was very restrained and kept to my plan. :) I added a brushstroke of glitter that you might be able to see in the photo above?



'Looking Back' measures 10 x 7 inches(25 x 18cm). and is painted on canvas board with acrylics and a little glitter as described above. The surface is varnished for protection. I've listed it in my Etsy shop for sale at £40 + shipping (worldwide). Maybe it would make an lovely gift for Mothers Day? :)

I spent a lot of time gazing at the sea while I was away in St Ives and on one particular occasion I noticed a mother walking along the beach carrying her baby on her back. The baby was peeping out sideways from the backpack  and smiling at me. The image stayed in my mind and I thought it would make a lovely painting.




This is the stage I'm at right with it right now, a little bit of collage and lots of changing on my part as I decide what's working and what isn't. I hope to be able to show you the finished piece in a few days time.

But until then, I'll leave you with a video I made of Kynance Cove. I'm new to videoing so please forgive the clumsiness! xx

Comments

CJ said…
I went to Kynance Cove and Poldhu in the summer, how lovely to see them in winter, they look quite spectacular. When I saw Kynance it was the same colour turquoise as your painting. Well done and happy birthday to your youngest son, I hope he enjoyed his celebrations. CJ xx
rossichka said…
What a beautiful place! It was really exciting to see and hear those breaking waves - reminded me of our Black Sea... Thanks for the video!!
I like to read and see how you explain your creative process! The turqoise - brown combination is very interesting and somehow mild...
Your photo on the beach in boots is lovely, Jessie!
I love Cornwall and wish we got there more often. Lovely images you have shared, and that painting has such magical colours. x
Red Rose Alley said…
Jess, these pictures of Kynance Cove are just beautiful. I was longing for the ocean and recently went there with Jess. It sounds like you had a peaceful time just thinking and relaxing. I have to tell you that this painting is so delightful and I think it's one of my favorites yet. The turquoise color really got me, it's so striking.

Happy March!

love, ~Sheri
Red Rose Alley said…
oh, Happy Birthday to your dear son - 16 is a special one! :~)

Popular posts from this blog

More Cottages During Lockdown and a Change in Medium.

Illustration Friday: Confined

A Day Out