Autumn Song


I really liked making my mixed media paintings last week but I fancied a change for this newest painting. 
I love to use watercolours and missed their delicacy and the way the paint puddles onto the white of the paper, so satisfying :)
I thought I'd share with you the stages I go through to get to the final image :)



I did a very quick sketch to see how the bending trees would look swaying to the music, then I drew out the composition with my black Pitt pen. For this I used the 03 size.


Then comes the fun 'colouring in' stage.
I wanted to use the colours of autumn, reds, golds and purples. I like the random way the washes dry, sometimes I'll use salt on the wet paint to get more texture but his time instead of doing this, I used two different colours that could wash into eachother as they dried to get a sort of 2-tone effect for each hill.


Almost done, 
when the paint was dry I added more details with black and white ink on the leaves and the bark of the trees.

Here's the finished piece,


It's called 'Autumn Song' and measures 7 x 10ins. I hope you like it :)


I've just listed in in my Etsy shop. If you'd like to see, please click here.
~~~~~~
Thanks for looking! :)

Comments

Unknown said…
It is great to see your process, Jess. I am just experimenting with watercolour paints at the moment but I am loving learning! Beautiful painting xx
Kim Mailhot said…
Thanks for sharing your process with us ! Love hearing the Autumn song !
Martina said…
It's very lovely Jess - the title fitss beautifully!
Paper rainbow said…
What a beautiful painting. You use watercolour so well Jess the colourwashed hills look great. I too love pitt pens, loved seeing your process, thanks so much for sharing.
She's so beautiful. I love the mix of vibrant colors and her flowing hair. Well done!! :)
Its lovely Jess - thanks for sharing with us your process also :)!
chrissie said…
This is a wonderful painting with such lovely delicate colours. Thank you for showing how you did it.

Chrissie x
CJ said…
It's lovely, and how wonderful to see how you created it. You are very talented, and it makes me wish I could paint.
Kyra Wilson said…
Really lovely!!!! :)
Erin K said…
This is so gorgeous! I adore the warm colours, it's like she's playing music with the wind. So nice of you to share your process with us here. I'm always fascinated to see how others create. I haven't used watercolours in ages. I mean outside of watercolour pencils. You have me inspired to try them again. ^_^
rossichka said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
rossichka said…
You love watercolours and they love you! Me? I like the pallette of your painting. And am so, so curious about how that autumn music sounds!:)
I missed your recent posts, so now I wanna say how beautiful all those faces are. I like the new details and your work with pencils.
Nathaly said…
tres jolie :0)
I like
Ana M.F. said…
I love the trees and flowers, look like they are dancing to her song ♥
Anne Manda said…
Lovely image, very beautiful,fresh colors! Love your art!
Unknown said…
Amazing! I love the use of the colours, especially her hair.
Beth Niquette said…
Is this you? I wondered because I recognize her face. How precious...your artwork is just beautiful.

Popular posts from this blog

More Cottages During Lockdown and a Change in Medium.

Illustration Friday: Confined

A Day Out