Pebbles and Fields

 What a blissful way to spend a bank holiday, a  forage on one of my favourite Devon beaches.

 Look at the colour of this stone! It was probably once part of the sea wall but over time has become smooth and almost indistinguishable from its unscathed cousin high up on the footpath.

 What can I say about this? It's so beautiful here isn't it. I'll let the picture do the talking.

 I love hunting for pebbles, not any old pebbles mind you, ones that call to me, ones that particularly catch my eye with their smoothness and colour. My handbag was ridiculously heavy when I went to pick it up to leave the beach! I can never resist keeping a few. ;)

 I could have sat here for ever.

 Devon's a pretty place with its soft green hills. From here at the side of the road you could see right into the distance towards Dartmoor. I'm afraid the photo doesn't do it justice!

I think I'd like to live here and look out at this view, watching the changes in the landscape from day to day.

Home now and it's pouring with rain! Hard to imagine it was only a few hours ago I was on that sunny beach.
I'm going to try to find time to do this week's Illustration Friday, it's been a busy time but I have an idea of what I'd like to do. I shall be back here quite soon with the finished picture.
Please come and see me again soon.:)

Comments

Robin Larkspur said…
Your visit to sea and fields make me want to pack up the car and head out to the Ocean (5 hours away....sigh). Such a beautiful respite today, thank you!
martinealison said…
Je viens de passer un moment fascinant en scrutant vos merveilleuses photos... merci pour ce moment de rêve ma chère.
Gros bisous
trish said…
Thank you for that delightful treat... i LOVE being by the sea, and looking at pebbles on the beach, it is my favourite pastime. devon is such a pretty place.xxx
trish said…
Thank you for that delightful treat... i LOVE being by the sea, and looking at pebbles on the beach, it is my favourite pastime. devon is such a pretty place.xxx
trish said…
Whoops! Commented twice!!
Tammie Lee said…
so beautiful are your photos of this land and it's treasures. It sounds like you had a perfect time. thank you for sharing.
Els said…
Oh what a lovely hillside over there ....
To bad: we don't have pebble beaches over here in Holland: I would take bags and bags ... ;-)
millefeuilles said…
You have been in my thoughts every day thanks to your wonderful garden girl print which graces my work shelves. I get to glance at her regularly as I sew away.

These photos provide a beautiful contrast, don't they? We lived in Normandy for a few years by the coast and your description of Devon reminds me a little of the beaches and green, green land (due to a lot or rain) too.

I love pebbles too and were I more scientific (I'm hopeless) I would have rather fancied being a geologist.

I enjoyed seeing your wonderful knits too in the previous post! What will you be making yourself now? And an exhibition? How exciting.

Stephanie
Jess said…
Thankyou for your lovely comments. :) One of my most favourite places, is to be amongst nature. I wish you could have been there too!xx
Julia Guthrie said…
We have much in common Jess... we too ventured to pebbly beaches over the weekend. And I also came away with pockets clanking with pebbles & wood. LOL
Some of them just call to you though don't they? You can't leave them behind!

Looks like a magical place. And the Devon countryside is so lush. It's always a treat when we have to drive up that far.
Glad you had such a lovely time xx
Jess said…
Thanks Juila, I always envy you living so near to the coast but I am lucky in that I go there a lot! I do get a bit over enthusiastic with my pebble collecting I must say! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

More Cottages During Lockdown and a Change in Medium.

Illustration Friday: Confined

Two Birds Colourful Painting