A Visit to Oxford

Each visit to Oxford brings me more discoveries with plenty of inspiration.



The Ashmolean Museum was the first stop and I was quite peeved when it closed at 5.40!

Treasures on the inside,

and a large cupboard with pre raphaelite treasures on the outside.

More pre raphaelite loveliness,

and patterns that give me ideas.

I love the dark blue background with the turquoise pattern laid on top.



Charles Dodgeson, better known as Lewis Carroll studied at Christchurch College in Oxford. Opposite the college is a little victorian shop filled with Alice-in-Wonderland souvenirs. I couldn't resist buying a couple of cards!


Alice's Shop was the actual shop where Alice used to buy her barley sugar sweets and was the inspiration for the old sheep shop in Through The Looking Glass. Sir John Tenniel, sketched the shop for the accompanying illustrations, reversing the details as if a mirror image.



I'm now charged up with all kinds of images. Watch out sketchbook, here I come! :o)

Comments

Gretel said…
Goodness, is the Alice shop still there?! I don't think I've ever been in it, possibly because I am so tall and the shop is quite small and crowded...very Alice in Wonderland! Lovely things from the Ashmolean, especially that big bowl.
Annie Lightbulb said…
Awesome visit, I just loved all your photos :)
martinealison said…
Une boutique où il doit faire bon errer et où les rêves doivent être assurés.
Gros bisous
renilde said…
beautiful objects Jessie.
beautiful drawings in your previous posts too.
i noticed your paintings become more like 'full page',and the birds are getting the company of other things and animals and i like it a lot, that elephant dress is so very nice. x
busybusybeejay said…
I love anything Pre Raphaelite.I havn't been to Oxford for years.AS our son lives in Cambridge we go there,an equally fascinating city,but we must revisit Oxford.
Victoria said…
Wow..how gorgeous..i am in love with that cupboard..gorgeous!
Thanks for all the beautiful images!
Victoria
Kim Mailhot said…
Thank you for taking us on this little excursion of inspiration with you, Jessie !
Happy Tuesday !
Jess said…
Hi Gretel, it wasn't too full as it was a Sunday morning, best time to go there, not many tourists about.
Thanks Julie and Martine!:)

Thankyou Renilde, yes they have haven't they? I recently feel my painting going through a 'growing' stage!
Hi Babara, it's so very similar to Cambridge I had to keep reminding myself it was Oxford when I was there!
Thanks Victoria, that cupboard was gorgeous I must say! :)
Thanks Kim, you're very welcome. :)
trish said…
I love the pre raphaelite cupboard...and that beautiful dark blue and turquoise bowl, beautiful treasures indeed.xxx
Mersea said…
One of these days I am going to make it to the United Kingdom! Love your pics!
Unknown said…
I love Oxford. My parents live in a village nearby so sometimes park and ride in. You have visited one of my favourites, The Ashmolean but I never realised the Alice shop was in the city. Another reason to pop up and see my parents, I think!
Karen said…
Have been meaning to pay Oxford a visit, it's long overdue, and now seeing that there is an 'Alice' shop there I must bring the visit closer. I feel a half term trip coming on... ;) Thanks for sharing x
Tammie Lee said…
How wonderful that you found your trip inspiring! I enjoyed seeing your photos and some of Alice and Wonderland's story.

Popular posts from this blog

More Cottages During Lockdown and a Change in Medium.

Illustration Friday: Confined

A Day Out