Alone but not Lonely

It's ok, I'm not alone, or lonely.
I was thinking about how we artists are most often completely alone when we're making our art. I've taken part in groups where we've worked together but my best creative thoughts arrive when I'm completely on my own, immersed in my own thoughts. I know some people can bounce ideas off eachother and have amazing times at arty workshops but although I've enjoyed things like this, I tend to get distracted by other people and don't produce anything that I feel is my own, something that expresses just me.
While I was expecting my youngest child, I came across the book by Julia Cameron 'The Artist's Way.' I'd taken a couple of years out of my art degree to have the baby and I felt in desperate need of some creative input. One of the things she advises is to take yourself on an 'Artist Date'. This is a date with yourself, alone, visiting somewhere that makes your heart skip, that feasts your eyes. The idea is to feed your creative consciousness, your inner artist.
It's easy to forget how important it is to spend 'quality time' with ourselves. A lot is said about spending quality time with loved ones and of course this is true but when you're trying to get back in touch with what really makes you feel happy to be alive and inspired by the quirky things that are unique to you, then you need to spend some time nurturing your own inner artist.
I haven't done this for a very long time until today.

Comments

rachel awes said…
a few things i love:

your
birdie
& hill
& gorgeous solitude.
yesyesyes
xox
morikomidori said…
thank you for reminding me
i must visit Julia Cameron's book again. i have been lazy, lazy, lazy creatively.
the birdie on the patchwork hill, the colours in particular and his/her joyous little crown make my heart sing :)
i think that everyone needs aloness sometimes. to breath and to keep in touch with our authentic self.

warmest wishes to you x
Love the brillian bird...wonderful colors! I just returned from a vacation so I have to check out what I missed.....
Giggles said…
Love your vibrant bird! I'm like you I create better on my own. I don't really enjoy creating in a group. I love my alone time too! The Artist way is a favorite book, I think it would be a wonderful mandatory reading in high school!

Good for you going on an artist date!!

Hugs Giggles
Anonymous said…
Good for you! :) (regarding having the opportunity to nurture your inner artist alone) These colors are soothing and cool and love the patchwork hill. :)
Unknown said…
Lovely post. I agree with you. Loving your birdie.
Kyles :D
renilde said…
Good for you Jessie, i don't know the book but that's a true and great advice. Me too, i love to work on my own, sometimes in silence, sometimes playing music letting thoughts and emotions flow, xx
i agree with you when you say your creativity turns up when you are alone. and gosh! that artist date sounds sooo good!
i love your bird by the way, and the “quilted" grass he is standing on.
xo sandra
Ana M.F. said…
nice bird :)
I agree with your post, I find much more difficult to work with other people around.
That artist date sounds like a good idea.
Clare said…
Totally agree - we need time alone - to explore and pull out the art.
Victoria said…
Beautiful art! i looove this enchanting bird! Gorgeous colors too! always inspiring and expressive! I love that..always such a feel of high energy vibing from your work!

I love being alone..and feel most powerful and nurtured in this space...I feel alive with creative magic...it is special! Enjoy your special time and creating with the magic of your artist's soul! Shine on friend!
Victoria
Jess said…
Thankyou all so much :)
I've used that book like a bible for years and it's great for any kind of creativity, not just visual art.
I hadn't thought of the hill being like patchwork but of course it is isn't it?! I must be more influenced by my needlework than I realised!xx
JessiVille said…
Oh, you are so right! I'm hoping to be able to do some of that nurturing next week. I love your colorful birdie - a visual feast!
Jessi xox
Annie Lightbulb said…
This is so cute! I want a blanket hill just like this birdie!
jessie, This piece is very beautiful. I love the colours. A great feeling exudes from this piece. Hugs
Rosie said…
Wow! Did you notice the size of those birdfeet on the sand? Ha, ha.
I love to work alone...except I like to have music playing or radio 4 on,or am constantly interrupted by small people demanding that I draw them...and I think I am up and running again.
Karen said…
I hope you had a wonderful time on your artist's date. :) x

Popular posts from this blog

More Cottages During Lockdown and a Change in Medium.

Illustration Friday: Confined

A Day Out