Friday, 7 May 2010

Pencils or Charcoal

I took some watercolour pencils with me this morning to life drawing but for some reason was only in the mood for drawing with the grey pencil. I chose a nice neat pointy retractable pencil which just needed a quick twist each time it wore down.

Below is an older drawing made a few months ago with a thick graphite pencil, about 8B. It produces a different style of drawing and I'd come away at the end of the session with much dirtier hands!

graphite pencil in A4 sketchbook

It's funny how I felt drawn to a pointier and more delicate pencil today, maybe it's because the model is very fine and delicate to look at?

When I started out doing life drawing at art college, we were encouraged to use sticks of charcoal and to work on large pieces of A1 paper. These days I go to a 'Drop in and Draw' session which doesn't have a tutor and we can just get on with it in our own way. Perfect!

8 comments:

Gina Lee Kim said...

Hi Jessie! Thank you so much for your comment on my beeswax collage. AND wow you drawings are wonderful. I too would love to do some pencil/charcoal sketching. For me, figuratives are so challenging. But here you have executed them so well!

BTW, my husband is from "south west" UK. I would think Newcastle under Lyme, Stokes-on-Trent is kind of south west. Pottery capitol (ha).
Warmly, gina

Jessie said...

Hi Gina, thanks so much! Married to a Brit eh? I wonder if he still has his accent? :)

wyanne said...

I agree that delicate pencil was perfect for that model. Good choice. I love the other one too. I remember those life drawing classes in college....it's really great that you can do things your own way now.

Jessie said...

Hi Wyanne, thankyou :) It's great not having anyone tell me what to do!

Muideen said...

i love seeing figure drawing...
I try to do it everyday.

Perpetual Chocoholic said...

I left my class this week with oil paint all over my face.

Amalia K said...

Ah, you are so very fluent with your strokes, Jess! I can see how good you are with live model drawing... I wish I could say the same for myself, I dreaded my class back in college! Heehee... :))

Lisa said...

Your drawings are wonderful!