Monday, 25 January 2010

Mothers and Daughters


The Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman, illustrated by Charles Vess.

The author Neil Gaiman says "This is the kind of book that comes about when a friend phones you and says, "I'll be having a baby in a month. Would you write her a poem? A sort of prayer, maybe? We call her the Blueberry. . . .birth to a daughter? I wasn't going to let it be published, not ever. It was private, and written for one person..."

Some of you are daughters, or have daughters so take a minute to hear this lovely poem by Neil Gaiman. The illustrations are by Charles Vess and if like me you're a fan of Arthur Rackham, you'll also enjoy reading about the process of making his wonderful illustrations. I can't help but notice the similarity in style! Lovely!

6 comments:

liZZie said...

that is fabulous - thank you for the post, it's really good

Pussycats and Angels said...

This is just lovely and I am sitting with my Daughter, which makes it extra special... Magical...
Thanks for sharing......Julie x

A mermaid in the attic said...

That was gorgeous...my girls are staying with their nanny at the moment...I can't wait to share this with them when they get home! Thanks Jessie.

Jessie said...

Thanks Lizzie :)

Hi Julie, When I heard this I thought things like this seem to turn up when I most need them, it's as though the universe knows.

You're very welcome Christina!

Karen said...

This is such a sweet thing to share with a daughter. Thanks jessie I'll have to show it to mine :)

And I agree,thats so true about things turning up as if the universe knows?
x

Jessie said...

You're welcome Karen :)